Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

And so it begins...

For all you WND readers out there, you will note that one of the life goals is watching the Cubs win the World Series. My very first hits on this page was from the guy that designed the Cubs Magic Number counter on the right hand side. When I posted it last year about this time he commented on my unreasonable expectations.
When that number read zero last spring, I openly taunted him. But the Cubs were the Cubs and lacking real scoring and a serious number two starting pitcher, they blew it in the playoffs.

So a new season begins, and this year I am going to go into it with a better attitude. I am going to start by thanking Keith Graham for the counter, the hit on the blog, and the mention in his blog. And, while Cubs still have a few holes in their lineup (second starter, lead off hitter, and a manager without brainfarts while writing the lineup), I am going to be quietly and cautiously optimistic. I think this is a team that can make the playoffs. I hope they can still make some move that will make them a better playoff team.

Opening Day

This year major league baseball got the great idea to start the season a little earlier, so that if and when teams from the North play in the World Series, it won't be so cold. So the Cubs opened at home on March 31 this year. Will someone call Bud Selig and tell him what a great idea that was? I just couldn't decide which bikini top to wear, blue or red? I decided to go with long underwear, jeans, boots, rain jacket, and enough beer to keep me warm.
Living in Wrigleyville USA I feel it is my duty to participate in important neighborhood happenings, and there are few more eventful days in my hood than Cubs home opening day. They open the bars at 6 in the morning and the party doesn't stop until the final disappointing out of the Cubs season.
So as I have the last four years I joined a few friends for the welcoming party. We found our spot in the bleachers, put on our galoshes and sat through a couple of rain delays.
Bad News: The Weather, Cubs Hitting, Cub Relief Pitching
Good News: They didn't stop selling beer during the delays, Fukudome (new right fielder from Japan), and funny drunk fans in the bleachers (see below)
Cubs ended up losing 4-3 in 10 innings to the evil Milwaukee Brewers. Magic Number stays at 162.
Good fun was had by all, although at the end of the game I as there by myself with my new friend Alex. Alex is a Captain in the Army on leave from Iraq. My brother-in-law Kevin and I introduced ourselves to him when we got there.
Me, "Who you here with?"
Alex, "I am by myself."
Kevin, "Not anymore. Have a seat. Do you like beer?"
He had an 8:30 PM flight to Dallas to spend a few more nights with his folks before he ships out again. Despite being a University of Illinois grad, he is a good guy and I hope we stay in touch.
I didn't make it to my work hoops game. And because we flew back from Des Moines Monday AM, I didn't have a chance to run. This won't be the best week for workouts.

1 comment:

K.Michele said...

Did you get the name of your friend in the bleachers because I think he might be my future husband. He looks like he does triathlons and stuff, no?