Monday, April 14, 2008

Have Love, Will Travel

There are few things I like doing more than going to a real good rock and roll show.  My favorite type of music is rock with a real soul blues sound to it.  The kind that makes you hurt, and the kind of music The Black Keys drop upon every unsuspecting room they play. 
What's Next Dave Gal and I had a chance to go see The Black Keys at Martyr's in Chicago on Saturday, and it rocked.  It was part of WXRT's Studio-X series, where they get a band or performer who plays big shows (in this case The Keys were playing the Riviera later in the evening) and put on a short show in a small venue which XRT then plays on the radio in it's completion typically a few weeks later.
So Martyr's might hold 2o0 people, all of which won the tickets from the radio station.  So we were pretty stoked for the mid-afternoon show.  They only played 4 songs, and one of XRTs DJ's tried to do some interviews between the songs (although The Black Keys don't give interviews, and made the whole thing very awkward, and somewhat funny).  
Although short, the show rocked.  
I read this comment about The Black Keys recently:
The Black Keys are incredible refreshing, if this doesn't want to make you eat BBQ, drink beer, smoke cigarettes and piss in your neighbors mailbox, I don't know what does.
Well, I certainly don't condone pissing in your neighbors mailbox, at least without provocation, but I understand how they certainly stir the soul.

The Black Keys also played David Letterman last night (April 17).  I was about to head to bed when I heard they were coming on.  They gave a great performance.  They are promoting their new album, Attack and Release, which is a good one if you don't already have it.  
They are also playing Chicago's Lollapalooza show in August.  I haven't decided if I am going to pony up for the ticket yet (and whether I am going to do a tri that weekend), but the line up is very intriguing (Radiohead, Wilco, The Raconteurs, Kayne West, Flogging Molly, The National, Explosions in the Sky, to name some of my favorites there).  I am hoping they put enough of then on the Friday or Saturday show that I can go one day of it.  Three days is a lot of festival for me.
Here's a listen off the new album:
Quick Workout Diddy:
So I just didn't feel good getting out of bed on Saturday, so I didn't make it to run with my CARA group (sorry Rob and Ellen), but I did do my 12 mile run in the afternoon.  It was pretty unremarkable.  A little slower pace than usual, but I was ok with that as I still wasn't feeling up to par.
Run:
12 Miles, 1:50, 9:05 min/mile pace
View Interactive Map on MapMyRun.com

No comments: