Saturday, April 5, 2008

Do I Really Deserve "Step Back" Weeks?

Ok, let's be honest here...  I am not the most consistant trainer at this point in the season.   
March for sure, and even April, are build-up months for me this year.  I didn't keep the best fitness levels this winter, and I am putting on my base miles for later in the summer.  That and I am still spending some time at the office.  Well, I could continue my list of excuses forever, but the point is I am not running 5 times a week like I should be.  
Not that I am concerned.  I don't want to hit it too hard to early, or I will peak too early this summer.   There is some plan to all my madness.  April and into May will be much harder training months for my second half in Traverse, and the tri in June.
What is the point to all of this rambling?  Well last week was a "step back" week in the CARA half marathon training program.  We went from a long run of 10 miles, to one of 6, then this week's 11.  
When you only run 3 days a week, a step back week is not nearly as useful.  It brings up the question, "what are you really stepping back from?"  Of course the reason I know this now, is after I did a "great" job stepping back for the last week and a half, our run today was not as easy as it should have been.
Oh, well. 
The rest of today:  Going to see my neighbors beat up on the Houston Astros.
Tomorrow:  My first indoor triathlon.
GO CUBS!!!!!!   [And heres to me not drowning tomorrow]
Running
11.42 Miles, 1:36:31, 8:32 Min/Mile
View Interactive Map on MapMyRun.com

No comments: