Thursday, April 10, 2008

Early Attempt at Channel Swim... Duo Comes Up 21 Miles Short

Peak and Pond

My best friend Chuck is attempting to become the very first American to climb Mt. Everest and swim the English Channel. He has already knocked of the climbing part, and he is scheduled to swim this August. It looks like he might have some competition from an MBA student who is trying the swim a little earlier in the summer. In which case, Chuck will be the first Iowan, the first American guy with red hair, the first grandson of a Governor, and the first guy who can use the suffix XVIII after his name to do both.

Anyhow, he is back in Des Moines swimming more than I am running (seriously), which is probably good because I am not currently signed up for any races that long. The Channel is around 21 miles at it's narrowest point, although due to the current it is unlikely to actually end up being that short.

Early Attempt at the Swim

In an effort to support Chuck, the last couple of months I have been following Channel crossing news. I missed this article, but a big thanks to Chuck for pointing it out to me.

This is the story of brothers who tried to swim across the channel in a VERY early attempt in the year. Due to a number of unfortunate factors had to turn back early (after about 20 yards).

Chilly Channel defeats brothers’ swim attempt

A very funny read.

Notes

  • At Chicago Blue Dolphins masters practice at the 50 meter pool on Tuesday, Fitz the swim coach says, "Do you have a blog?"
    "Uh, yeah."
  • I am not sure why, but for an instant I was incredibly embarrassed. I guess his wife, Mrs. Fitz (his real last name is Fitzpatrick, this is a bad attempt at humor), found it through a Google alert. After I realized I really don't have too much to be embarrassed about, I asked what he thought of it. He said he was ok with it, because I say nothing but good things about the practices and lessons.

  • Seeing she still has the Google alert, here is a hello and welcome to Mrs. Fitz. Sorry you had to marry a Michigan guy.

  • Cubs having a rough week in Pittsburgh. Two wins, 29 innings. I will take the wins, but it is tough when you plan to go for a run after the game, and the game lasts another 6 innings.

  • Here is a great blog entry from Donald and his blog, Running and Rambling. It is about lack of sleep and a recent news story that has run amok about blogging to death. The whole thing is really quite silly, but I can really relate to Donald's take. Between work, family, doing things that keep you sane, and working one's creative outlet, sleep can take a back seat sometimes. One of the many reasons I will never be a sub 2 hour triathlete, or a sub 3 hour marathoner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Donald said...

Dang, I hate spam comments like that one above.

Thanks for the link, and for the Channel story. It was a good read.

Murphy said...

What, no big ups on the Red Wings making the playoffs? Saturday was upsetting, but looking at recent BC games with ND in any sport, I suppose that was to be expected.
Go Tigers