Thursday, April 3, 2008

Dick Beardsley, My Hero

As I get deeper into all things triathlon and distance running, you get to hear and learn about new heroes, great stories of victory and defeat. Names like Pre, DeBoom, Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, Khalid, Macca make great fodder for Runners World and Triathlete. Their stories you hear announcers talk about on Patriot Day, during the Olympic Games, and in Kona. You think about them in on your long runs and your solitary rides.

Dick Beardsley is one of those heroes. Not only for the dramatic races he won and lost, but for his victories and defeats since he last competed on the road.

I had a chance to see Dick speak at the Chicago Triathlon Club's "spring fling" last night. His story is well chronicled, I don't need to go through all of his accolades and issues here. He is probably most famous for his battle with Alberto Salazar in the 1982 Boston Marathon. The duked it out for the last seven miles in an uncharacteristically hot April day This epic run was the topic of the book, Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon by John Brant.

As I learned last night, this race is not the topic of his motivational speeches. Rather he spoke about how he became a runner and then his later battles verses addiction to pain medication.

His talk is refreshingly humble. He does not brag, nor does not ask or want pity. He does not go into great detail the things that made him most famous, but rather he tells a story of when he was not famous, and when things were not good for him. Still it is not just a story about addiction, but rather a story about how there will be lows as well as highs in life, and how it is important to "stay the course."

I enjoyed the talk immensely. Different than many motivational speakers I have watched, he is truly genuine and honest. About the only thing I absolutely could not believe was that he was a very bad runner in high school.

I had a chance to sit down with him at the end of the evening as he was signing his book for me (Staying The Course: A Runner's Toughest Race) and we had a great little conversation. We talked about my blog, my running and tri plans for the summer, his life back in Austin. Turns out his wife has run the Pikes Peak a number of times. He gave me a few hints for that. He took a photo with me and wished me well.

As I was driving home I reflected on the event. I was very happy to have had the chance to listen to Dick. I couldn't help but feel happy for him that he turned things around. He is one of those heroes from the stories of races, and you want to see those guys doing well. But in telling his story, and in his efforts to help others fighting addiction, his is more than a hero in a race. Dick Beardsley is a hero in life, and I am glad I got the chance to meet him.

Here is a link to the Dick Beardsley Foundation.

Tuesday's Swimming
1500 meters, by myself in the transition group (which was great, like a private lesson)

No comments: