Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Jack White…Talented? Check. Life Saving Superhero? Check. All Around Awesome? Check.

I have been enamored with the rock band The Raconteurs for some time now.  I have been trying to figure out how I can work a Raconteurs post into this web log, but it really hasn’t fit in well with running, swimming, and race car driving. Lucky for me this my blog and my Life-to-Do list, so I am adding a new “To-Do:”  Play in a real rock and roll concert.

Yes, I want to be a rock star. I don’t need to make a living out of it. I just want to learn to play music at a level that is tolerable to other people.  And rock and roll simply because I do like a good bluesy rock and roll.

Plus my new to-do gives me the liberty of talking about music, which is an obvious interest of mine, and staying within the theme of my blog.

Which Brings Me to the Talented Mr. White

I have been fascinated with Jack White’s projects for a while now. Many will know him from his duo The White Stripes, but the discussion today is around his new pseudo-superband, The Raconteurs.

They released their second album, Consolers of the Lonely, in March, one week after they announced they were going to. Give it a few listens before you judge it, as it may be an acquired taste, but it is become one of my favorites. They are now on tour supporting the album, which is where this next story comes from.

The blog The Modren Age alerted the person who runs the Facebook fan group of the Raconteurs to this great story. The story also ran in the Kansas City Star.

To quote The Modern Age:
Imagine you’re a girl, and you love the Raconteurs. You go see them at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City, and your having a grand time, when all of a sudden you faint.

The crowd pushes your body to the front, and instead of a bouncer coming to your rescue, Jack White himself leaps off the stage and carries your weary body to safety. He then (as you are told later), continues on with “Carolina” like nothing happened.
There is even a photo of “Super Jack.” Classic rock story.

Wait, you are interested in this “Carolina” song? Ok, here you go. It is a good one.

A good example of why they call themselves The Raconteurs

This widget is from The Raconteurs website.


1 comment:

Donald said...

Cool story. I've been listening to "Salute Your Solution" a lot lately.

And who's to say that music and athletics are mutually exclusive? Blog it as you feel it, dude.