Thursday, May 29, 2008

Specializing vs. Triathlons

Why be really good at one sport, when you can be mediocre at three?
(A common runners joke about triathlon training. I heard it first from Dan Lee from the Chicago Triathlon Club)
Writing on all things triathlon, running, and general dream fulfilling, people tend to email me articles from time to time.  I really appreciate the help, and they are typically either every informational articles or just downright amusing (see open water training video below).
Every once in a blue moon there is an article that gets enough press and speaks to my vast and loyal readership, that I receive it from multiple sources.  
A good example of this is the article about triathlon training in the New York Times three weeks ago.  I think four or five people emailed me that day to tell me about it.  Take a read for yourself, but the article discusses how the training for triathletes is spread too thin to actually find a peak performance in any of the three disciplines.  
Duh.
I think that quote from Dan Lee at the top really sums it up.  Although it is well worth noting that I am in the middle of the peak of my triathlon training now, and I have set two PRs in the last week in my main discipline of running (half apology for the not so subtle brag) AND I am as good as a swimmer and biker as I have ever been.
Of course, I am working out a fair amount now.  And the argument is that if I would just specialize in one of the three, I would be better in that sport.  I agree with that.  While I am nearing the best running shape of my life, if I solely concentrated on running I probably wouldn't be talking about a 1:43 last weekend in the half-marathon, but closer to a 1:38.  
This was most definitely a concern of mine as I drove up to the race this weekend.  I have spent a lot of time in the pool recently, and I was worried that I was not in good enough running shape to do the half well.  
And furthermore, I am also starting to worry a bit about the Pikes Peak Ascent in August.  While I am in good shape for running on flats, running up a mountain does take some specialized training.  I tried some of that out last night, running on a treadmill with the incline jacked up to 15%.  Not easy.  In fact I was a little surprised on just how hard it was.  I have plenty of time to adjust to the different actions associated with climbing, but it is nothing I would have typically done as a part of triathlon training (unless of course the triathlon was on a mountain).
It all comes back to the great metaphor of the triathlon as the mistress.  This is Donald's metaphor not mine, but I think it makes a lot of sense to me.  I am a runner.  I love running and what it does for me.  I see myself running many more marathons and maybe trying to dabble in ultras.  I love going out on a trail and getting lost for a few hours.  There is nothing that clears my head better or calms me to a greater extent. 
But triathlons are fun.  They are intense.  There is a TON of cool gear.  Every day you get to do something new.  And I am participating in sports where I have a lot of room to improve.  
But in the end, like Donald, I see myself going back to running.  She will be there for me.  We have been together too long to leave her forever.  

How does that relate to the New York Times article?  
I may or may not keep hitting PRs in my runs this summer, but I am doing events that are interesting and new to me.  I have never woke up in the morning and ran up a 14,000 ft mountain.  I have never decided it would be a good idea to swim along some of the best architecture in the world.  I had never ridden my bike 100 miles in a day.  And I have never had the chance to have an artistic expression about things I am passionate about.  But I will this summer, and I think that is pretty cool.

So thank you for the articles.  Keep sending the blog fodder my way.  I added an email link to the right to make it easier when ideas come up, but feel free to leave comments on the blog entries as well.


Tragedy Averted
I forgot to mention how I saw my life flash before my eyes on my way to Traverse City.  Were we almost in a car accident?  No, worse.  My bike almost came loose from the car.  
Melissa (the girlfriend formerly known as WND Gal) saw the color flush from my face as I stared intently into the rearview mirror.
"What's wrong? Are we being pulled over?"
"No, it's worse. My bike."
Luckily, it was pretty well strapped on to the carrier. While it was flying horizontal for a while, and it did scratch up her pretty little frame a bit, we didn't lose her. Oh, and Melissa was fine too.
[A note to Melissa's Mother:  I am only kidding about my bike being more important than getting in a car accident.  Obviously your daughter was the most important cargo that day, and every day she rides with me in the car.  And I would also like to note that I am a very safe driver.  I use my turn signals at least 87% of the time, and passed drivers education and all DOT and DMV (depending on the state) tests in my first attempts.]

Notes
  • Speaking of ultramarathoning, like triathlons they are increasing in popularity.  It seems that we are all getting totally more extreme.  My guess is most people that do ultras might not like its newfound popularity, but I doubt there is much that will stop it (see me thinking about it).
  • Speaking of running at altitude (tough segway there, I know) the 30th Bolder Boulder, the worlds largest 10k in Boulder CO, was last weekend. Running superstars Ryan Hall and Deena Kastor, who will both run for the US in the Olympic Marathon, are running.  Kastor finished 7th (she has won it three times).  There was no mention of Hall's place in the articles.  The weather was very good for fast times.  The lead pack of men averaged 4:32 per mile.  Sick.  Nasty sick.
  • As if we didn’t have enough to worry about with sharks… “Unprecedented Collision with Pelican Sends Woman to Hospital."
Training This Morning:
20.23 mile bike, 1 hour 13 min, average 16.6 mph

1 comment:

Donald said...

The metaphor's not copyrighted; you're more than welcome to use it.

BTW, being mediocre at all three sports makes you a pretty good triathlete. Most people have one real weak discipline.