Friday, May 30, 2008

The End of Human Excursion

‘‘It was as if the brain was playing a trick on the body, to save it,’’ says Timothy Noakes, head of the Cape Town group. ‘‘Which makes a lot of sense, if you think about it. In fatigue, it only feels like we’re going to die. The actual physiological risks that fatigue represents are essentially trivial.’’
The more I learn about endurance athletes and the ability of people to push themselves to the very end of our physical limits, the more I realize we are only starting to learn what that means.  That being said, while you cannot help but be impressed by such displays of human accomplishment, at some point you find yourself asking, "is something wrong here?"

As I read the New York Times article on ultra-endurance athlete Jure Robic I couldn't help myself but be a little concerned.  Not so much for Robic (although the "is something wrong here" red flag did appear), but for people I know who will have to push themselves to somewhat similar limits.

Then of course I realized there are lessons to be learned about this story.  He has a very tightly controlled system with his crew, and his success in these races depends not so much on the turning of his legs, but the ability of his right hand men to make sure he is pushed to the limit and motivated in the way that works for him.

It is a very interesting article.  Not only does it discuss Robic, but also just what exactly causes fatigue.

Note: 
  • It does note in the article that Lance Armstrong has hinted that he might try RAAM.  So I will add that to the list of things people speculate Armstrong will do.  Other activities include open a bike shop (done), date every famous woman on earth (well on his way), Ironman triathlons, cure cancer, and run for president. 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I wonder what the fine line is between a healthy love for exercise and an obsessive addiction. I've been battling with this myself. After doing my first Ironman, I keep asking myself what's next. I've actually been depressed because I'm don't have to work out 2x/day. So Sunday, I woke up and ran 9 miles of trails with one running group. Ate, took a nap, and then ran 10 more with a 2nd running group. Then, I hopped in the ocean for a swim. Does this make me crazy. Probably. But I've never been happier.