Tuesday, June 3, 2008

WND Photography


I have had a couple questions this week about my photos. Specifically what camera I use, what settings I use, and a few questions on how I have taken some shots you will see on this blog. Thus, I thought I would take a quick break and talk a bit about photography.

First off, I have been taking photos for a long time, but have only recently been doing it again. I was a photographer in high school and especially in college for the student newspapers, and supplemented my post college income working on the side as a commercial photographer. Then I basically didn't take a photo for about five years.

Last year, I bought my first digital camera, a Canon SD 600. It was the perfect size to take with me everywhere, and the quality of photos are great. It lasted a little more than a year, when about 3 weeks ago it decided it wouldn't power up.

I called Canon, to see how to repair it, and they said it would cost me $99, but I did qualify for their customer loyalty program. This program lets you upgrade to the new version of your camera (although it is a refurbished model) for $100. While I wasn't pleased that I had to give Canon another $100 14 months after I bought the camera originally, I was pleased to get the new SD750.

Well now that I have it I really am pleased with the difference. I have recommended it to a few people who are looking for digital cameras. It is great.

So there you are. Please feel free to send questions my way!



Notes:
  • There are two good photo web sites I recommend to people. The first is Ken Rockwell's site. It is perfect for the everyday photographer wondering which camera to buy, and how to take better photos. Here is is site, and just as importantly, here is his page for camera recommendations. As you will see, he and I share a taste in cameras (or at least agree on the best ones). That being said, he does a great job of explaining why and the details behind it. You will be happy to hear that Ken says (and I agree) you don't have to spend a bunch of money to make great photos. Oh, and congratulations to Ken on the new daughter. Needless to say, it is a great photo.
  • The second site is a little more advanced, but still something I think the average Joe should learn. How to use a flash. Strobist is a blog dedicated to teaching tricks using a flash. Really again something everyone could learn and take much better photos. I learned about this site from a story in USA Today a few months ago.

2 comments:

Kevin Browning said...

While I am continually mesmerized by the B&W shot of Wrigley and that glorious green playing surface, I can't help but notice the svelte physique of that handsome diving gentleman who has apparently had one too many Presidentes. (Famed local brew of the Dominican Republic for the uninitiated)

GZ said...

I expect to see that dive at the top of Pikes. Looks like two things will come off the list at once (Pikes and a 14er).