Thursday, June 5, 2008

Not Talking About "It" at the Cubs Game

"Yeah, I'll take a light one," Ryan says to the beer guy.

Last Sunday, my good friend Ryan and I decided we would catch up at our favorite spot in neighborhood, Section 127, Wrigley Field. The view was pretty good (see above), the weather was cool but sunny, and he and I had some things to discuss.

It was the fourth inning and the Cubs had just tied the game up at 2 with the Colorado Rockies. Rookie Sean Gallagher was on the mound for the Cubs, and looking pretty good. He would have been in better shape if left fielder Alfonso Soriano hadn't dropped a routine pop fly earlier in the inning (he later made up for it with a monster HR in the 6th).

Both Ryan and I were not quite 100% from the night before (the night before the Zoo 10k, more on that later). As I was finishing my Gatorade that I smuggled into the stadium, Ryan decided it was time to order another beer.

"Yeah, I hope Soriano gets those drops out of his system. We can't have those type of mistakes in the World Series," said the beer dude.

We both grunt in agreement.

"Yeah, that will be $93 for the beer."

"Here you go, keep one for yourself."

"Thanks." [Beer guys walks up the aslie.] "GET YOUR ICE COLD PAIN KILLERS."

I look to Ryan, "I just don't feel comfortable when people refer to it."

"I know what you mean."

"Do you ever think about it? I do all the time. I mean without a doubt this team is a contender. They need another starter, or at least one to really step up so we have three solid starters. That and just a little more middle relief."

Ryan pipes in, "Yeah, but I like how like last year, Lou is shuffling the line ups, sending guys up and down from here to the minors."

"Right, that is what makes me think this time is deep enough to survive the typical injuries that will happen."

"Yeah, like when Soriano went down."

"Right."

"Honestly, I don't even like thinking about it," said Ryan.

"I am ok thinking about it. I just don't like talking about it."

"Yeah, me too."

We will miss you guys when you move.

Notes:
  • The Cubbies won that game Sunday 5-3. They swept their entire 7 game home stand.
  • Cubs won again tonight. 10 of the last 11. Their Magic Number is 98.
  • Speaking of the Cubs' Magic Number... the automated script is working again! (See right)
  • The photos with the singled out color were made with my Canon SD700, which has a color accent feature. We had a lot of fun with that one Sunday.

2 comments:

Donald said...

You probably know this ... but when was the last time the Cubs were in 1st place on June 1st?

It has a nice symmetry to it.

Dave said...

It sure does.

This should make you feel better:
"The Cubs' 3 1/2-game lead Tuesday matched their largest of 2007. The last time they led the division by 4 1/2 games was Aug. 1, 2001, a year they finished five games out." (from the trib on Monday).