Thursday, June 12, 2008

Time to Run

I am over my hang up with doing a triathlon this year. Sure, I did work hard at the swimming, and was a lot more prepared for my tri this year than last. But even had Des Moines worked out perfect, I had spread myself too thin between very different types of competitions.

This was never to be my year of the triathlon. This was the year to improve in the three disciplines, not to master the tri. This was always to to be my summer to do the Pikes Peak Ascent. Now its time to refocus on my original goal. It's time to run.

How to Do a Du?
If anyone has any hints on duathlon strategy, I am all ears. Sounds like a very taxing day on the legs. I remember thinking last week at Batavia, that I was really glad I was doing the tri because the du looked really hard.

Pikes Peak
64 days until the Pikes Peak Ascent. I am going to put a countdown widget on the site the next couple of days, as well as a link to my workout plan.

Thoughts are in Iowa
As a native Iowan, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone back home who are having to deal with issues related to the flooding and devastating weather.

Notes:
  • Lots of good links today in Daily Triathlon media watch email. If you don't already get it and are into tri info, that is a great source.
  • They posted an interesting article on the USOC site about how they are still scrambling to find a swim location for the pros in Des Moines for the Hy-Vee tri. They still want to make it an Olympic qualifying event, but to do that it sounds like they really need the swim.
  • With all the news of the floods in Des Moines, I have yet to report on the pro's race last weekend Vancouver. Matt Reed continues his good racing by placing 5th and in doing so secured the US three spots in the triathlon in the Olympics. Here is the story in Inside Triathlon.
  • On the Time to Run theme, CARA's (Chicago Area Runners Assoc) marathon training program started this week, with the first group run this weekend. I have decided to lead one of the pace groups this year. Hopefully I will have more than two people in my group like the winter half training group had (it will be closer to 20 this time).

No comments: