Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Searching for the Right Wetsuit

OK team... my evolution into a triathlete continues. Last year at this time, I bought a bike and first got into the pool a month before I finished my first and only tri. This year, I started the masters swimming and swim lessons in January, started biking as soon as the weather allowed (and got on the trainer at a bike store a couple of times before that), and got my running legs under me (including hill and speed work). 
Next step, I need a wetsuit. For the tri I did last year (Hy-Vee in Des Moines), I borrowed my brother in law’s suit, but the water was too warm, and they didn't allow wetsuits.  So I have never actually used a wetsuit. I have been shopping around and understand the general differences (sleeves, no sleeves, one piece/two), but I really don’t understand which one to get. 
It reminds me of when I bought my bike, there are so many brands/styles that I don’t really know where to start. 
What am I looking for? Obviously I would like to swim in Lake Michigan. I tend to sink like a rock, so the more float the better. I would also like to shave about 20 minutes off my 1500 meter time, so if you know of a magical wet suit, I am all in. 
So here are my questions: How much should I spend? I need a better understanding of the sleeves vs no sleeves (such as a temperature difference for using them).  If you had to buy your first wet suit all over again, what would you do differently?
I next triathlon is in Batavia on June 8 (my sprint warm up tri), so I would like to have it for that (although it is only a 400, I want to practice with it, and I heard it is a chilly one).
If you have any hints, drop it in the comments section.
Notes:
  • My nice little Cubs Magic Number widget isn't working.  So for the time being I will try to update it myself.  They won tonight, so it is down to 110.
  • I saw this story about the US Olympic Swim Trials, discussing how they need to sell more tickets at the Quest Center in Omaha to break even.  Then I saw that they didn't know how many seats the pool would displace there... so wait, does that mean they are building a pool for the Olympic Trials?
  • Yep, they are installing a temporary pool for the Olympic Trials, and the best place they could find for it was Omaha.  If not having a pool wasn't an issue, I think they could have got a little more creative on where to have it. 
Tonight's Workout:
Chicago Blue Dolphins Practice in the 50 meter pool at UIC.  2300 Meters.  Mostly in 50s and 200s.

2 comments:

K.Michele said...

As the owner of two wetsuits: I would go to a triathlon oriented store and get the person to have me try on several wetsuit and give me advice on which one fits the best (I would be well rested and hydrated before this, its hot and tiring). I would not order one on sale over the internet (unless you want to become incredibly claustrophobic on several OW swims and ultimately wind up owning two wetsuits). I would practice in it as much as possible before the race. When I asked the sleeves/no sleeves question, everyone said sleeves - the extra money is worth the extra buoyancy and warmth and if the fit is right, it shouldn't effect your range of motion too much.

Donald said...

Most of the mid-priced wetsuits out there are pretty sweet, with only minor differences. It's hard to go wrong with any of the major brands.

Thanks for the underwater swim suggestion. I think you're right about the 50m - I tried it lastyear, and was surprised that I almost made it all the way down. Not making a turn is a huge plus as far as energy conservation goes. Unfortunately, our pool is configured in 25y lanes now, but I can try again in the summer when the lane lines come out.