Monday, March 24, 2008

What about Cross Training??

Where to start?  Whether it is where to start working out, where to start with strength training, or where to start with cross training,  I typically reply with CrossFit.  CrossFit is a fitness philosophy, regimen, and some have said cult.  It has olympic style lifting, gymnastics, and intense functional training.  It was written about in this articles in the New York Times,  and then again last weekend in this article also in the New York Times.  

The workouts are very hard, but they are quick.  It is typically around 20 minutes, once a day, three days on, one day off.  And if you keep doing it, it works.  You get functionally stronger.  You will see results.  Just know there are easier workouts if you can't do the daily workouts listed on the website (www.crossfit.com).  
If you are going to the gym, and need some guidance, start with CrossFit.  Do it for a while and you will be impressed.  You don't have to be a workout guru to do it, there are scaled back workouts for the rest of us.  Give it a shot.  You will be pleased with the results.  
Now, what do I do with my cross training... well I did the CrossFit workouts over the winter, and they are still what I do for my strength training.  I also I have joined a basketball team through work.  The first game was Monday night, I hadn't played in a while (3 years), so it took a bit to shake off the cobwebs, but by the second half I was feeing better about it.  
We lost (no big shocker there), but we are in a league where we can be competitive, and is a great cross training option for me.
Cross Training:
Basketball, 1 Hour

No comments: