Monday, March 10, 2008

Sales Job Today, Olympics Tomorrow?

For me, no, but for Dallas Robinson maybe. For all you corporate slaves pretending to be athletes out there, read this story in the New York Times.

Even better, check out his training video.



Pretty good use of Johnny Cash’s version of “God’s Gonna Cut You Down.”



As for me, while I won’t go to the Olympics anytime soon, I do have high hopes for a number of events this summer. Wednesday is the registration for the Pikes Peak Ascent. This is a half-marathon up a mountain. A pretty big mountain.

More on that if I make it into the registration. It fills up VERY quickly. Wish me luck (not sure what good luck would get me, but I guess I am hoping to get into it).

Today’s Workouts:
Strength:
I haven’t talked much about Crossfit yet, but I will. I used their workouts for my strength training all the time. Pretty good stuff. I did a lighter version of their "Lynne" workout: Five rounds for max reps of: Body weight bench press, Pull-ups

Running:
On treadmill, 3 miles keeping HR under my anaerobic threshold (which was 167 when I last tested it). Then I did 4 x 400 meters for speed work (between 6-6:30 min/mile pace).

Swimming:
This practice comes from Fitz at Chicago Blue Dolphins. I only post it because it is on his public site, and because I keep telling everyone I know in Chicago to go to him for swim lesions. I mean it. They really do a great job there.

Tech/Link Set:
4 x 50 Skating Drill @ :15R – Focus: Breathing into the water
4 x 50 Drill @ :15R (25 Triple Switch, 25 Triple Switch for a Bite)
4 x 50 FR @ :20R

Main Set:
4 x 25 Five Switch Drill @ :20R – Breathe into the Water
4 x 25 FR @ :20R – Breathe every 5th stroke
3 x 50 FR @ :30R (1st 25: Breathe every 3rd stroke, 2nd 25: Breathe every 5th stroke)
3 x 50 FR @ :30R (1st 25: Breathe every 5th stroke, 2nd 25: Breathe every 3rd stroke)
Cool Down: 100 Drill/Swim – Alt. 25 Triple Switch for Bite + 25 FR

Yeah, now I have a few hours of work to do. I am beat. Tomorrow I am off to Omaha for a meeting. No workout for me, but it has been 4 days in a row, so I am due for a rest day. Update on the Pikes Peak registration on Wednesday.

1 comment:

K.Michele said...

Way to go with the swimming ... I'm proud of you! I'm also impressed with all these blog posts which is why I'm leaving a comment even though I have not much to say other than, I hear you on enough is enough with this winter. And I don't even live in the windy city!