Tuesday, March 4, 2008

When In Doubt, Do It Now!

In 1902, as he lay dying at the age of 48, Cecil Rhodes could look back on a not undistinguished career. He had made a vast fortune in gold and diamonds. He had built railroads through the wilderness and become one of the century's great rulers. He had created an empire, which is more than your average 48-year-old has on his rsum. But Rhodes was not going gentle into any good night. On his deathbed he was heard muttering,
"So little done, so much to do."
I put this story in here not because I share any beliefs with this power hungry man. I can't tell you exactly what Cecil was missing out on, but I am guessing it had to do with exploiting the people on Mars, or setting up some other racist secret society. No, rather I put this here because of what he wasn't and because I wonder (quite optimistically) if that is what he meant.

I worry that people see this blog and think I am only concerned with physical activity. It is my hobby, and I enjoy pushing myself to do things I have never done before. As an added bonus, it keeps me healthy and clears my head. The super extra bonus, is that it allows me to plan healthy things with my friends and family (plan with them, drag them into, merely semantics).

But especially on this day when I have friends who find themselves with new challenges and opportunities, I think about Cecil's dying words and I wonder aloud in this strange blog world,
"Am I doing the right thing?"
While I am not certain today, my hope is that at one point very soon I realize the answer is a resounding yes, and I hope I reach that point before I have to curse time lost on my death bed.

I suppose that is goal in itself.

Today:
Running
I stole this from someplace on the web. It is a good speed workout when you are stuck in 12 inches of snow in St. Louis.

Warm up 15 minutes at base pace (let’s assume 8 min pace/mile)
5 min at 8 % faster than base pace (about 7:25 pace)
4 min at 10% faster than base pace (about 7:10 pace)
3 min at 12% faster than base pace (about 7:00 pace)
2 min at 14% faster than base pace (about 6:50 pace)
1 min at 16% faster than base pace (about 6:30 pace)
Repeat twice. Keep the elevation of treadmill the same: .5 to 1 % grade.
Rest interval is half of the running time (i.e. 5 minute interval gets 2:30 rest)

Hope all is well out there. Goodnight strange blog world.

2 comments:

K.Michele said...

Cryptic much? You are one of the last people I can imagine lamenting time lost. You seem to always have an adventure right around the corner. Stay warm!

Sara said...

ummmm...yeah. Can you re-calculate that workout with a base pace of 10 min. miles for us people you left in your dust in Brosta Rica? Thanks....all your adoring fans appreciate it. Way to keep up your focus over this brutal winter....I have definitely had enough!