Monday, March 3, 2008

Learn How to Swim... Check!

I would like to thank the Academy for this incredible honor today...

OK, so I didn't win a Oscar a few weeks ago, but I did graduate from "Freestyle 1" class at Chicago Blue Dolphins.

As many of my friends love cracking jokes about (see here), I am not a naturally skilled swimmer. While I did participate in swimming in high school, I was very, very bad at it. For whatever reason they decided not to teach me how to do it right there, but thanks to my friends Kristin and Sara, I was introduced to Total Immersion Swimming, and the Chicago place where they teach it, Chicago Blue Dolphins.

I had five classes at their training faculty (see photo) with their top notch instructor John Fitzpatrick. Despite Fitz being a Michigan guy, he really isn't a bad guy and he understands how to teach swimming to a self proclaimed hydrophobe. It really helps that their facilities include the Endless Pools, which allow you to see yourself in the mirrors they place below you and the instructor can stay next to you to help keep you in the right position.

All in all, they run a very good program there. I highly recommend CBD, or any TI class to those who are trying to learn to swim better, for whatever reason.So Learn to Swim is on the done list. Also note that Swim the English Channel enters the "To Do List" (really, plans are underway, more later).

1 comment:

Sara said...

wow....you have gone on a blogging spree! I can't wait to catch up with all of your adventures! Congrats on the learn to swim thing....I have heard great things about that program. Have you checked out the new blogger team? Evotri.com....I think they are sponsered by the Blue Dolphins.