Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Long Pool

I had a great workout with the Chicago Blue Dolphins masters swim team last night.  They hold practice on Tuesday nights at the "big pool" at UIC.  The University of Illinois at Chicago Natatorium is a 50 meter pool, which is twice as long as any pool I have ever swam in.  It makes for long laps, but I think that is precisely what I need to gain comfort in swimming longer distances.  
I continued in the "transition" group, and while the drills can still be challenging, when they actually have us swim freestyle it is not difficult.   So, even though we had the long pool, I didn't swim the whole distance all that often.  My hope is that they put me in the more challenging group sometime soon.
Swimming
1.5 Hours, Lots of long laps 

1 comment:

Donald said...

Hi - thanks for your e-mail last week. I'll look forward to keeping up with your blog.

The more you do long-course swimming, you'll come to love it. Especially for triathletes, long course is the best training other than open water. It's very hard to switch back to short couse after you're used to a long pool - it feels like you're always pushing off walls.