Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Am Not Ready to Deal With The Cubs... Yet

Pitchers and catchers reported on Friday the 13th.  Really, is that a good idea for the Cubs?

I am just not there yet.  Not even close.  People are talking about going to opening day (I have gone the last 5 years now), and I have yet to throw my hat in the ring.  Single day tickets go on sale Friday and I don't think I am going to even try.

Part of it is that the Cubs are getting more expensive every year, and we are trying to save pennies now.  But truth be told, the bigger issue is that I am still pissed.  I am pissed that the Cubs continue to treat their overplay players like fragile eggs.  I am pissed that the team played like crap AGAIN in the playoffs last year.   And I am pissed that despite 100 years of not winning the playoffs it has become virtually impossible to get tickets at face (not to mention the fact the face cost of BLEACHER tickets are $60).

If I was GM I would trade any big contract guy for as many prospects as I could get.  In 4 years I would have a hell of a team.  As the Marlins how many championships they have won in the last 100 years.

So I post the video below in hopes that I get over my disappointment and jump on the Cubs bandwagon again this year.  I am sure the Kool-Aid will taste good when I get to it, but now all I can remember is the very bitter aftertaste.



  • There was a good story in the Tribune today about the leadoff spot.  Stuff like this gets me closer to being able to deal with the Cubs, because I immediately get angry when Lou feels he has to coddle Soriano by leading him off.  OBP in the leadoff spot scores more runs. More runs wins games, maybe even playoff games.  I have a feeling the Ewing Theory will take effect after Fonzy leaves.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I feel exactly the same way. I still curse every time I go by Wrigley (which is a lot).