Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dave's 2009 Motivation Blog

Will Anyone Notice If I Blog Again?  Do I care?  Not really...

Today's post is all about motivation.  I write this half to keep my ass moving in the craptastic weather that is the Chicago winter, but also to move my vast and loyal readership.
"Exercise is done against one's wishes and maintained only because the alternative is worse."   --  GEORGE SHEEHAN
Well, there are many reasons for exercise, but I think Doc Sheehan covered the basic one there.
Here is a good article about how there are no excuses not to workout (well there are a few in there).   "It may be Mardi Gras time, but don't let excuses weigh you down when it comes to exercise"  I think I really liked this article because it relates exercise to Mardi Gras.  You really do have to love New Orleans.

Sticking with the motivation theme here is an Runners World on how to Tough It Out.  I love the Star Wars reference from Brian Sell.

Since I am going to try to ease back into this internets blogging business that is all for today.  Here are a couple of odd balls for you:
  • As if you needed another reason to work for Outside Magazine.  This has nothing to do with endurance events, but I suppose I should tack a few of these "Cool Party Tricks" on my to-do list.  "SHABA DO!"  Note: I really enjoyed the video where I learned to sabre a champagne bottle. Put away the knifes next New Year's Eve.   Also, I want to go on the record that I do not recommend the blowing fire bit. 
  • Lastly, I got this from an email from Coldplay.  Glad to see they keeping their sense of humor despite all they've got going on.

1 comment:

Kevin Browning said...

Oh how glorious, that WND is beginning to thaw after the long, bitter winter. I thought I would take this moment to tack on a link to a film that has inspired me to keep motivated despite the seemingly never ending chill that envelopes wherever I seem to be. If these 3 guys can run 4600 miles acorss Africa in 111 days, my ass should be able to knock off 5-10 without much trouble. Perspective never tires.

http://www.runningthesahara.com/

P.S. This is much more than a movie about running. It is a beautiful piece of film making and is emotionally, physically, and culturally profound. You don't need to have an inherent desire to lace 'em up to love this film.