Friday, January 8, 2010

How Much for an Ironman Trophy?

I get that doing an Ironman is a big deal. It's an accomplishment that takes a lot of time, effort, and dedication (at least that's what people keep telling me). And I can see where Ironman finishers would want a memento of this impressive feat.

So when I received my daily top stories email from Ironman, I was fascinated by the story on the new "Ironman Trophy".

"Ironman athletes hardly need to be reminded of how much dedication, time and support is required to finish a 2.4 mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride and a marathon run. Many will proudly display pictures of their achievement in their offices at work and around their home. Now, thanks to the folks at Ironman Trophy, there's a very special way to recognize your accomplishment - a spectacular bronze trophy."




So as I visualized my future trophy intimidating anyone that walked into my future corner office complete with a couch and wet bar, I hit the link to see more details on this "work of art."

Available in both types of patina colors: BLACK MARBLE and TAN! Watch out, it weighs more than most infants (16 pounds).

WHERE CAN I PRE-ORDER ALREADY??????????

Price = $695.00

I'm sorry... WHAT? Does that include someone doing the race for you? Does it come with a free Emma Snowsill? Can you at least put Macca's time on it? How about a free disk wheel? No?

Oh, wait... I get it. People (the World Triathlon Corporation in particular) now understand how triathletes love blowing money on their hobby.

But they forgot to ask if it passes the triathlete test for irrational spending... Does this make you more areo?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Trophey?

Dave said...

HA! Good catch. I don't typically spell check the title. Thanks!

Unknown said...

That'll be $250

drdave said...

Not to me. Of course, that is more than I spent on my tri bike anyway. Call me frugal.
Nice post.

Anonymous said...

These things are stupid.
The only thing I wear from my IM races are my caps when I run in the sun...
I haven't even framed the pix yet...and doubt if I will.
I know I did it...I don't need to spend ANOTHER $700 to put this on my desk so people can just happen to ASK me about it! lame-o!

I like your list...but do the full Pikes Peak if you can.
Better experience!